Instruments Owned by Nippon Music Foundation

Language : 日本語  ENGLISH

Stradivarius

Stradivarius

“Paganini Quartet”

  • 1680 Violin“Paganini”
  • 1727 Violin“Paganini”
  • 1731 Viola“Paganini”
  • 1736 Cello“Paganini”
  • This is one of the only six sets of quartet compiled with Antonio Stradivari’s (1644-1737) instruments known to exist today. All the instruments of this quartet were once owned by Niccolò Paganini (1782-1840), a legendary violinist during the 19th century. Nippon Music Foundation acquired this quartet from the Corcoran Gallery of Arts in Washington, D.C. in 1994 and loans them as a set succeeding the will of Madam Anna E. Clark who donated the quartet to the Corcoran Gallery.
    “Paganini Quartet”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1700 Violin

    “Dragonetti”

    This violin is one of the very few instruments which still retains its original neck. Its name was taken from the owner, Domenico Dragonetti (1763-1846), the Italian virtuoso double bass player. Dragonetti formed a large collection of double basses, violins, cellos, harps and guitars. Just prior to the Foundation’s acquisition, this violin was played throughout the world by the renowned violinist, Frank Peter Zimmermann.
    “Dragonetti”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1702 Violin

    “Lord Newlands”

    This violin was named after the owner, Lord Newlands (1890-1929), who treasured it throughout his life. While this violin was in the care of W. E. Hill & Sons of London between 1964 and 1982, it was exhibited at the CINOA Exhibit of Bath in 1973 as the most outstanding violin in the Hill Collection. According to the world virtuoso violinist Isaac Stern (1920-2001) who once played this violin, "Lord Newlands" has the same power as his "del Gesu" violins.
    “Lord Newlands”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1708 Violin

    “Huggins”

    This violin was previously obtained from France in the late 1870's by Old Zack of Vienna, and around 1880, it was acquired by an English astronomer, Sir William Huggins (1824-1910), hence the name "Huggins". In 1997, Nippon Music Foundation started to loan this violin to the grand prize winner of The Queen Elisabeth International Music Competition in Belgium in order to support the Competition and the young promising players.
    “Huggins”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1709 Violin

    “Engleman”

    This violin was once owned by the family of a naval officer Commander Young until his death in the World War II. The Young family had retained possession of the violin for almost 150 years, which is reflected in its superior condition. Nippon Music Foundation acquired it from an American amateur violinist and collector Ephraim Engleman, hence the name "Engleman".
    “Engleman”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1710 Violin

    “Camposelice”

    The name of this violin is derived from the owner, Duke of Camposelice, who was a well-known Stradivarius collector in France in the 1880s. In 1937, this violin was exhibited at the prestigious Cremona Exhibition by Dr. Kuhne who owned a collection of instruments. Nippon Music Foundation acquired it from the family of a Belgian amateur player who took great care of it for over 30 years.
    “Camposelice”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1714 Violin

    “Dolphin”

    This violin is recognized as one of the top three violins made by Stradivari along with the 1715 "Alard" and the 1716 "Messiah". This instrument was once owned and played by the world famous virtuoso Jascha Heifetz (1901-1987). The owner in the late 1800s, George Hart who was an instrument dealer in London, named the violin "Dolphin" as its striking appearance and colour of its back reminded him of a dolphin.
    “Dolphin”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1715 Violin

    “Joachim”

    This is one of the three 1715 violins once owned by the famed Hungarian violinist, Joseph Joachim (1831-1907). This violin was later bequeathed to Joachim’s great-niece Adela d’Aranyi, who was a violinist and a pupil of Joachim. Therefore, it is also known as "Joachim-Aranyi". The violin had since remained in the possession of Adela's family until Nippon Music Foundation acquired it.
    “Joachim”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1716 Violin

    “Booth”

    The name "Booth" was taken from Mrs. Booth, an English lady. She purchased the violin about 1855 to form a quartet of Stradivari instruments for her two sons who showed considerable talent. In 1931, the violin was passed into the hands of Mischa Mischakoff (1896-1981), a celebrated American violinist, and in 1961, it became a part of the Henry Hottinger Collection in New York. The violin enjoys a very good reputation for excellent quality of tone and power and for good state of preservation.
    “Booth”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1717 Violin

    “Sasserno”

    The name of this violin was taken from Comte de Sasserno, a French owner in 1845. In 1894, it was acquired by a violinist Otto Peiniger, who in turn sold it to Pickering Phipps, owner of a well-known brewery in England. In 1906, this violin was passed into the hands of Henry Summers of England, and was well-preserved in his family for 93 years.
    “Sasserno”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1722 Violin

    “Jupiter”

    This violin has been in caring hands who appreciated its quality, and therefore it is a well-preserved example of Stradivari’s work. It is believed that a great English collector James Goding named it "Jupiter" in the early 1800s.
    “Jupiter”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1725 Violin

    “Wilhelmj”

    The name of this violin is derived from a German violinist August Wilhelmj (1845-1908), who has possessed it for about 30 years since 1866. This violin was his most favourite among many precious violins he owned. He parted with "Wilhelmj" in his fifties, as he made the decision to "quit when at my best".
    “Wilhelmj”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1735 Violin

    “Samazeuilh”

    This violin was brought from Italy to France by Tarisio in 1836, and was once owned by the Comte de Chaponay of Lyon. At the end of the 19th century, it was passed to W. E. Hill & Sons of London, who sold it to violinist Arthur Hartmann (1881-1956) in 1901. By 1909 it had been acquired by the Samazeuilh family, hence the name “Samazeuilh”. Virtuoso Mischa Elman (1891-1967), who came to possess the violin in 1923, considered it in a letter written in 1926 ‘one of the best Stradivarius Instruments for tone quality’. The inscription on its label records its maker’s age of 91 years. In August 2017, Nippon Music Foundation acquired this violin with a substantial contribution from Mr. and Mrs. Okamoto in Japan and support from The Nippon Foundation.
    “Samazeuilh”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1736 Violin

    “Muntz”

    The label attached to this instrument bears an Italian inscription, "d'anni 92 (92 years old)", handwritten by Stradivari himself. It has a first class reputation for its excellent condition and tonal quality. This violin takes its name from a famous collector and amateur violinist, H. M. Muntz of Birmingham, England, who owned it in the late 1800s. This is one of the last instruments made by Stradivari, who passed away in 1737.
    “Muntz”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1696 Cello

    “Lord Aylesford”

    This cello was once owned by a well-known musician, Lord Aylesford of England, hence its name "Lord Aylesford". He acquired this cello in early 1780s from the famous Italian violinist Felice de Giardini (1716-1796) and it was retained in the Aylesford family for almost 100 years. In 1946 it was passed into the hands of the world-renowned cellist Gregor Piatigorsky(1903-1976) in Philadelphia, USA. During the years between 1950 and 1965, internationally-acclaimed cellist, Janos Starker (1924-2013), played it in numerous concerts and made 35 recordings
    “Lord Aylesford”

    Stradivarius

    Stradivarius 1730 Cello

    “Feuermann”

    This cello is known for its relatively slim body. From 1934, it was owned by Emmanuel Feuermann (1902-1942), one of the greatest cellists in the world and is also well known in Japan as the teacher of Hideo Saito (1902-1974). Feuermann performed throughout the world and recorded with this cello, hence the name "Feuermann".
    “Feuermann”

    Guarneri del Gesu

    Guarneri del Gesu 1736 Violin

    “Muntz”

    This violin was made by Bartolomeo Giuseppe Antonio Guarneri (1698-1744), a distinguished violinmaker comparable to Stradivari. This violin is known as "Muntz" from its ownership by the same Muntz family as the 1736 Stradivarius violin.
    “Muntz”

    Guarneri del Gesu

    Guarneri del Gesu 1740 Violin

    “Ysaye”

    This violin bears the name "Ysaÿe" from the legendary Belgian violinist Eugene Ysaÿe (1858-1931). The inscription inside the violin, written in French with red ink, reads "This Del Gesù was the faithful companion of my career. Ysaÿe 1928". It is well-known for having taken part in the procession of Ysaÿe’s state funeral, being carried on a pillow in front of the virtuoso’s coffin. From 1965, it was owned by the world-renowned virtuoso violinist Isaac Stern (1920-2001). Nippon Music Foundation purchased “Ysaÿe” in 1998, and Stern continued to play it throughout his life.
    “Ysaye”

    page top