This instrument was named after the famed Hungarian violinist Joseph Joachim (1831-1907).
It was one of the three 1715 Stradivarius violins Joachim owned. According to one version, it was once in the possession by Franz von Mendelssohn. Joachim purchased the violin in Budapest, and on his death, it was bequeathed to his great-niece, Adela d’ Aranyi, who was taking violin lessons from him. She and her sister Jelly d’ Aranyi was frequently heard in public, achieving some fame and success as a violin duo between 1910 and 1930, and therefore this violin is also known as ‘Joachim-Aranyi’.
The violin had remained in the possession of Adela's family ever since before Nippon Music Foundation purchased it in September 2000 through a luthier from Mrs. Jane Camilloni residing in England on behalf of the husband and daughter of the late Adela.