Instruments Owned by Nippon Music Foundation

Language : 日本語  ENGLISH

Stradivarius

Stradivarius 1709 Violin

“Engleman”

  • “Engleman”
  • “Engleman”
  • “Engleman”

Feature

The back, in one piece, is of handsome wood marked by a small curl slanting slightly down to the right. That of the sides is somewhat smaller and more pronounced. The head is marked by a broader and fainter curl. The table of pine of very fine grain at center is opening perceptibly on the flanks. The instrument is well covered with varnish of a rich orange-brown color. This violin is a characteristic example of Stradivari’s work, with the finest features of that period. It is in an exceptionally pure state of preservation.

History

Once owned by an American amateur violinist and collector Dr. Ephraim Engleman (1911-2015), this violin was named “Engleman”.

In 1951, this violin was sold by W. E. Hill & Sons of England to a French amateur Dr. Pierre Lacombe. Prior to Dr. Lacombe, this violin belonged to the family of the naval officer Commander Young for almost 150 years until he was killed in the Second World War. It then passed via Jacques Francais of New York to Dr. Engleman. In May 1996, Nippon Music Foundation acquired this violin from Dr. Engleman through a luthier.

Certificate

Stradivarius 1709 Violin “Engleman”

April 7, 1998 Rene A. Morel Rare Violins, Inc.
November 19, 1986 Jacques Francais, to Dr. Ephraim P. Engleman
September 4, 1951 William E. Hill & Sons, to Dr. Pierre Lacombe

Reference

Stradivarius 1709 Violin “Engleman”

May 10, 1996 Andrew Hill, Report to Nippon Music Foundation
November 19, 1986 Jacques Francais
September 3, 1951 William E. Hill & Sons, History letter to Dr. Pierre Lacombe

“Antonio Stradivari: The Cremona Exhibition of 1987” by Charles Beare (P154)

page top