The name of this violin was taken from the ownership by Lord Newlands (1825-1906) of England who kept it throughout his life with great care.
This instrument belonged for many years to a French amateur Mr. Wittering. On his death in 1876 it was purchased by David Laurie, the well-known dealer of that period, and was brought to Scotland in 1877 when it was sold to an amateur player Mr. William Croall. Mr. Croall retained the violin in his possession until around 1884 when it again passed into the hands of Mr. Laurie, who sold it to Col. Hozier, who subsequently became Lord Newlands. Lord Newlands retained possession of the violin with great care until his death when it passed to his son. Subsequently it was acquired by an amateur Mr.R.E. Brandt, from whom W. E. Hill & Sons obtained the violin and sold it in 1916 to Miss Rhoda Backhouse. In 1961, the violin was re-acquired by W. E. Hill & Sons, offered to Mr. Dunbar in 1962 but returned in 1964 to W. E. Hill & Sons. In 1982, it was sold to Mr.S.Saba who was the owner of a very select collection of fine violins. In 1973, it was exhibited at CINOA Exhibit, Assembly Rooms in Bath, England, representing the instruments owned by W. E. Hill & Sons. In June 2002, Nippon Music Foundation acquired this instrument from Edmonton (Music) Limited through a luthier.